Monday, May 12, 2008

You want it? You pay for it!

So the state of Minnesota will not be subsidizing the development of Phase II of the Megamall. Instead, they are putting it into Bloomington's lap. The owners of the mall want to put up a massive expansion of the mall, including hotels, restaurants, and more shops. There is a question as to whether Bloomington wants to add a tax in order to finance this expansion. I would probably not want to dine there anytime soon if this passes. The question I have is this: If there needs to be a subsidy for this, is there really a market for it? OK, some more questions: Do we really need an additional behemoth of a retail facility in that area? I know of the tourism factor, but is there so much clamoring for more retail that we need to subsidize it? Oh, and have they accommodated light rail in their planning (I don't think you can plan anything in the Twin Cities anymore without someone asking that....figured I would get it out of the way)?

Good grief, that damn mall sucks as it is. The only people who go there are wannabe teenage thugs and freaking Sconnies (I can say that because I am a freaking Sconnie)! I feel like such a disgruntled local whenever I think about that place. Whenever people come and visit, invariably someone will bring up going to that hellhole. Every time, I try to come up with anything that will get that idea out of their heads. I'd rather look at the cherry spoon for several hours, thank you very much.

Really, I wonder if the state passing the baton to Bloomington will kill this project? I don't think I would want to count on a city with declining population to finance this, even if it does get a crapload of Sconnies shopping there. But, we'll see.

No comments: