Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Boy do I feel old

Normally I don't really care about the WNBA. I have nothing against women's basketball, as I went to a high school where the girl's basketball teams have won four state titles (1987, 1989, 1996, 1998) and have gone to state four other times. I watched them come agonizingly close to ending an incredibly long winning streak against Milwaukee Pius XI as a sophomore. So, I have some bonafides as a fan of women's ball. So, to me, not caring for the WNBA is not about not caring for women's sports. I think if it wasn't backed by the NBA, I would maybe like it more. If I didn't feel like all promotions for the game were trying to guilt me into watching it, I would like it more.

But, that's not the point of this post. It's just that new Minnesota Lynx player Anna DeForge is portrayed as a grizzled veteran in this article. Anna is my age. She graduated as the all-time leading scorer in Wisconsin history back in 1994, the same year I graduated high school. She is a grizzled veteran? I don't feel like a grizzled veteran in pretty much any aspect of my life (save my balding head). Seeing people my age portrayed as being old isn't good. Dammit, Anna and I just graduated high school!!! I know, I have a 15-year reunion coming up next year (as does she, I suppose). But dammit, I'm not old, and neither is she!!!

2 comments:

Mr. D said...

Try being the brother who's 12 years older than you.

Hey, as long as Jamie Moyer (born 1962) keeps pitching, I'm okay.

Mike said...

It's too bad Julio Franco recently retired. You'd be in real good shape if he was still playing. He almost made 50.