Thursday, May 1, 2008

Put on your PJs

P.J. O'Rourke is one of my favorite commentators. I was introduced to his writing when he wrote for Rolling Stone as an international affairs correspondent. I also got an intro to him from my brother. He also happened to be about the only known non-lefty at the magazine. His not being there was one of the reasons I stopped subscribing. In fairness, the biggest reason was that I was sick of reading highbrow reviews of crappy music. I don't think that there needs to be a lyrical deconstruction of a Britney Spears album in order to glean meaning from it. "Oops I did it again" has no meaning. Most pop music is pretty prima facie, so please review it that way.

Anyway, he was in town a few days ago. I missed it, which sucks. Oh well....he had an interview in the Strib back on Monday. As usual, he has a pretty solid take on things. If you read it, I think he largely gets things right. For example, he believes that John McCain is doing fairly well so far. However, he is also correct in stating that things are aligned pretty well for the Democrats this year. I know some believe that the Democrats may Keystone Cop their way to an election loss this year, but I really think whoever comes out of the nomination fight between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton will likely be the next President. Barring that Keystone Cop scenario, I think we'd have to see a substantial drop in oil prices and some serious movement in Iraq to have McCain get elected. As for me, I am not enthused by anyone running for President. No matter how I vote, my fingers will be pinching my nose big time while doing it.

So, read the short interview. And, if you haven't done so, read some of P.J's books.

UPDATE: Not so much an update but a clarification: I think the Dems do have the advantage, but this is not to say that they aren't trying their best to Keystone Cop their way into a loss. Between Obama and Wright, plus Hillary Clinton with her stories of being shot at, they are putting the effort forth towards that end. This election is far from over, but I think O'Rourke is right to say the Dems have an advantage.

No comments: