Monday, May 19, 2008

Tributes

There are two posts I want to talk about, involving tributes to lost loved ones. Please forgive the schmaltz, but I am in a less-than-chipper mood.

First, my brother put up a nice tribute to my late father, who would have turned 75 today. He passed away almost 18 years ago, in August of 1990. That was the worst day of my life. At some point, I will probably write about my old man, who wasn't perfect, but was the best father I could have, even for the short time I had him.

Second, friend of the Nation Gino wrote a great post about what is happening with him. He recently lost his sister, and has shown remarkable strength under the circumstances. I don't even want to imagine life without either of my sisters (or my brothers, for that matter). This was a wonderful tribute/update. It's a shame there is strife within the family, but hopefully this too shall pass.

Losing people you love is terribly hard. If it hasn't happened to you, count yourself very lucky. The best you can do though is to keep their memories alive, and both Gino and Mr. D do so well.

1 comment: