Thursday, May 1, 2008

Swillin' on Mifflin

The Mifflin Street Block Party turns 40 this year, as this article indicates. At first it a bunch of hippies doing whatever it was hippies did in those days (not showering, dropping acid, etc) and was a bit of a protest. But, it evolved into a bunch of house parties that spilled outside. The article gives a bit of a history lesson on it.

I only got to go once, in 1995. I was working at BW-3 at the time, trying to figure out my next move after getting rejected by UW-Madison. I had heard stories from people I worked with about this huge party where, as long as you didn't act stupidly, you could pretty much drink underage outdoors. That day I remember as being pretty nice weather-wise. I did what most people did, which was get really messed up (and yes, I was underage). I remember there being a pretty cool vibe though, with people just hanging out, and little if any fighting, although some fighting apparently happened that night...I was gone by 8:00ish. Apparently that changed in 1996, because they tried to clamp down on it. It looks like they have failed for the most part. While I don't like reading stories about cops being pelted with rocks and bottles, I am glad the Mifflin Street Block Party still happens, unsanctioned as it is. I doubt I would want to go now (I would feel too old), but I did enjoy my one go at it back in '95.

No comments: