Monday, May 12, 2008

An Appleton mystery (at least to me)


Apparently I am on a bit of a history kick here....I was looking at some historical photos of Appleton at the hometown paper, and I saw the photo shown on this link. The linked photo was taken 16 years before I was born, and a good 20-22 years before I have any memories of looking at that building. I suppose my brother can and probably will answer this. It looks like someone took a hunk out the AAL building (now known as 222 W College) shown in the picture. So, my questions are these: When did the AAL building in that picture from 1960 become the building that is pictured at the top of this post? What is the age difference in the west and east sides (looks like the east side is older)? Or, were both buildings in the 1960 photo torn down and replaced with a new, similar-looking building? I always thought the whole building was built at once, but apparently this is not the case.

2 comments:

Mr. D said...

I dunno, good sir. I always remember it looking as it does in the more recent picture. I do remember the AAL signs on top of the building, but they were arrayed differently in the 1970s.

Mike said...

Darn, I figured you would have known that, despite that picture having been taken before you were born. That, plus the fact that you were born in Berwyn.