Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post-Houston, Post-Election

First thing...I am back from Houston, and I gotta say it's alright. I wasn't as impressed as I was with Denver (another city I visited for the first time this year), but I had a good time. I found myself in the happiest place in the city Tuesday night, a bar called the Flying Saucer in downtown Houston, where there was a big Obama celebration on Election Night. Obama's election seemed to cause a nationwide burst of emotion in a lot of people. It was hard to not feel good about it. And, Obama did win easily, which I thought would happen. The GOP is in trouble, and I think they need a couple of years in the wilderness to get their act together. I will post my thoughts on how they should do it in a different post.

Boy, things got pretty interesting here in Minnesota with the Senate race, didn't it? I am happy that Coleman is ahead, but I am disappointed that a lot of people are so full of hatred for the GOP that we are damn near sending Stuart Smalley to the Senate. He is a spiteful individual that, in my opinion, does not have the demeanor to serve in the Senate. I hope Coleman stays ahead. In addition, Coleman winning will greatly reduce the likelihood that the Dems will get to 60 senators. We need to have 41 GOP senators to serve as a check on the Dems. Remember, divided government is a good thing.

Michelle Bachmann hung on, which I didn't think would happen. She is troubling to me because of her ultra-conservative views on social issues, but she won in the 6th. I think the national Democratic party will continue to gun for her in the future.

It was good to see Erik Paulsen win in the 3rd. Ashwin Madia was not a good candidate for the 3rd, which is a moderate-right district. I think Madia was trying to portray himself as a moderate, but his past endorsements of raising taxes does not play well out in the burbs.

I will post more thoughts on Houston later.

2 comments:

my name is Amanda said...

Nice to see you back! Truly curious about why anyone would vote for Franken? I promise it wasn't a hate vote for Coleman.

Still looking forward to agreeing with you about - something. I'm sure it will never be in the realm of politics.

...Except I suppose I do agree on a balance of parties in Congress. So - one! We've got one.

Mike said...

Here's the thing with Franken, at least in my opinion...in addition to what I posted, he has burned a lot of bridges. He really seems to have a lot of contempt for people who disagree with him. There is also a question of whether he can play nice with other senators. But, I do know there are people who genuinely like Al Franken...after all, I live in Uptown, so I know quite a few of them. I don't understand it, but I know that they do. I just think there is a significant element of anti-GOP sentiment in Minnesota (as well as the rest of the country) that manifests itself in trying to vote out a senator who has been pretty decent and who would be re-elected easily in most other years.

As for us agreeing on anything political, I suspect we have common ground on at least a couple of issues. I am more of a fiscal conservative than a social conservative (hence my not being a big fan of Ms. Bachmann). But like you said, we have one...so far.

That said, I never wanted an echo chamber here. So, feel free to tell me I am full of it from time to time. It keeps me honest, and it's always good to be open to the possibility of changing a stance with new information.