Thursday, November 13, 2008

CC-C ya later...so now what?

They say there are two certainties in life: death and taxes. Certainly these days there is a third, that being that CC Sabathia will not be a Brewer next year. I mean, it's not "certain," but with the Angels and Yankees probably throwing money at him, it's a done deal.

So what do the Brewers do? Despite his injury history, it would be interesting to see how Ben Sheets will do on the market. He potentially will make a lot of money too, but I think he is too injury-prone to command CC-type money, which may make him signable for the Brewers.

Really, the Brewers really, really need to work on that bullpen. A good first step would be to not re-sign Eric Gagne. He was too useless at too many big moments, so he was not worth the $10 million. With Salomon Torres retiring, the bullpen becomes even more of a problem than it already is. The Brewers need a new closer.

I will try to post more thoughts on the Brewers' offseason needs later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that the Brew Crew can figure out a way to still get him. He may have just been saying the right things during the season, but he still did say that money was not on the top of his list when signing a new contract. The owner of Milwaukee has said that he is willing to spend to get CC back. I hope that is the truth. It also makes me wonder if he is unable to snag CC if he will spend to pick up someone else in that range if it is available to them. I would rather not sign Ben "DL" Sheets. I would rather that they stick with what they now have, work out some kind of a trade for other pitchers, or just sign another pitcher of close to equal value on the ability and money ends. Gange was all over the place. He was actually doing well the last part of the season and in the playoffs. If they can make a low offer and have him in Spring Training then I would be cool with that.

Mr. D said...

Two words. Brian Fuentes. And don't give up on CC yet.

Mike said...

Mark, you mentioned Fuentes in a conversation with me at the trade deadline, and I thought that was a good idea. I still agree with you that he is worth a shot.

I hope I am wrong about CC. At least the Brewers made a legitimate offer to him. But, unless CC is willing to buck the union, I think he is gone. When was the last time a marquee player bucked the union to stay in a small market?