Monday, November 10, 2008

You're out of touch, I'm out of time

OK, really this is an experiment to see if I am out of touch musically. You can join in the fun too. Here is the most recent Billboard Hot 100 chart. Two questions: 1. How many artists in the top 50 do you know? 2. How many songs do you know?

For me, I know of 36 out of 50 artists in the top 50 (repeats count). As for songs, I have heard a paltry 4 of the songs in this week's Billboard top 50. I would say that I am pretty much done with new pop music (not old pop obviously, what with quoting Hall and Oates). Either that or I am a huge music snob, because I do listen to some current music, just nothing that is charting apparently.

Oh, one other thing: Lil Wayne is involved in six of the top 50 songs...SIX!! I knew that dude was everywhere. However, he could be in all 50 songs, and my niece would still not be impressed.

4 comments:

my name is Amanda said...

Number of lines in which I recognized at least one of the artists by name - 43. But that's counting Lil' Wayne 6 times, T.I. two times, etc. Songs I recongize by title - 8. Of the songs I didn't recognize by title, I recognized by listening to the sample dealies - 7 (but wouldn't have been able to name the artist). Incidentally, other than collaborate with other artists, I have no idea what Lil' Wayne has done on his own. And I didn't know those two songs were T.I.'s, but I've heard of T.I., because some coworkers were saying that he's hot, or something.

But that's probably more info than you needed. To point: I am so much hipper than you! *snort*

Mr. D said...

I've actually heard of most of these people, but I couldn't pick them out of a lineup. I seem to recall that Taylor Swift is a cute teenaged country singer type, but I don't know that I'd be able to tell her apart from Taylor Dayne. Or Ron Dayne for that matter.

The only song in the Top 50 that I definitely know is "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay, which gets airplay from time to time on sainted WXRT.

Now if you pull a chart from just about any week in the 1970s, chances are good I'll know most of the songs. Good grief am I old.


By the way Amanda, you have to be hipper than the Stinger. Entire countries are hipper than Stinger, including Finland and the Maldives.

Thanks for giving Maria the shout-out, too, good sir!

Mike said...

Actually, I take the result of my experiment to mean I am too cool for the pop charts. And I am going to keep telling myself that until I am convinced it's true.

Mark, I am waaaaay more hip than the Maldives. I'll give you Finland though.

gtkunstman said...

Taylor Swift sounds like an attack boat. I kept looking for the Foghat, but alas no luck. Let's get the pitchfork 500 up and then you can judge cool!

Your cousin with the big shoulders, or at least living in that town.