Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Stinger rant #3

There is a terrible new trend that has emerged in the past couple of years...it affects many of us acutely, and will eventually affect many more of us. It is pernicious, unforgiving, and possibly one of the more evil developments in recent society. What is this terrible menace??? Voice-activated automated phone systems.

In case you don't know what this is, these are automated phone systems that, instead of prompting you to push buttons (1 for English, oprima numero ocho para espanol), it asks you to say what you want to do. I despise these things. The most recent instance of me using this was when I called to pay my cell phone bill. At one point, it asked me for the security code on my card. I had to dig it out of my wallet to get the card. Not five seconds after asking me the first time, it asked me a second time. Good Lord, the stupid thing nagged me!!! I was so upset I actually yelled, "I'm working on it, jerk (only I didn't say jerk)." The other problem of course is that you have to say things exactly right, or it doesn't understand you. That is pretty damn frustrating as well.

You: Yes
Software: Sorry, I didn't understand you. Please say yes or no.
You: YES!
Software: Sorry, I didn't understand you. Please say yes or no.
You: YES!!!! I SAID YES, DAMMIT!!!!!!

1 second.....2 seconds.....3 seconds....."hey, maybe it got it this time".....4 seconds......5 seconds
Software: Sorry, I didn't understand you. Please say yes or no.
You: BLEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!

The thing that bothers me is that this is the solution presented because people don't want to press buttons, they want to talk to someone when they make a customer service call. But, companies don't want to pay a lot of customer service representatives. So, they compromise. You want to talk to someone? OK, talk to this voice-activated automated system. See how you like that.

Personally, if that's the choice I have, I'll press 3 to press buttons. Voice-activated automated phone systems can go to Hell....which is likely where they came from in the first place.

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

You tell 'em, ferret face!

Do you remember where that one came from?

Good rant - I've noticed that no matter how clear you enunciate, those things don't always understand you. Of course it probably doesn't help that it sends most respondents into a blind rage in the first place.

You should rant more often. What else can I bring up that will cheese you off?

Mike said...

What I should do is post the comment I left on your blog where I ranted about the South, Eden Prairie, etc. Now that was a rant!

my name is Amanda said...

I find it extremely off-putting to have to talk to a machine...just let me push buttons! Ya know? They should have options.

Mini-rant, SORT OF related - the instructions that you have to listen to, everytime you leave a voicemail message. So thorough! Sooo long and explanatory! So necessary! Argh.