Friday, December 5, 2008

Taking a knee

So I decided to take a knee and not do anything tonight. After going to Indiana and Wisconsin on consecutive weekends, I figured I needed a break. So, what do I do on a Friday night hanging at the apartment?

First, I watched a documentary on my favorite album of all time...when I was 13. I loved Hysteria from Def Leppard. While I was starting to listen to some alternative music, and I had just discovered Yo! MTV Raps, I still liked my hair metal. There was a time in the 90s when I denounced that stuff, but watching that documentary made me appreciate what a well-crafted album Hysteria is. There are a lot of solid songs on that album. Say what you want about hair metal, but they knew how to make hits.

As I type this, I am trying to get into the Minnesota Wild by sitting through a game. They are playing the Vancouver Canucks, and are down a goal early in the 3rd. I think it's just a matter of time before I become a Wild fan. It will happen as soon as I set foot in the Xcel Energy Center. And hey, the Wild are owned by a Sconnie, so they have that going for them.

By the way, HD rules.

3 comments:

my name is Amanda said...

"Take a knee?" Is this a Wisconsin expression? It sounds like a proposal.

I frequently stay in on Friday, although my phrase for it is more crass than yours. Or sometimes I go out, and call it an early night. Like tonight :) If you think of midnight early - and I consider myself still young enough to still do so.

Anonymous said...

I too denounced the Glam Rock of the 1980's. Over the years I had to stop being so elite when it came to music. During the past year I picked up such fine collections of greatest hits by Poison, and Def Leppard. Almost half of the songs on D.L.'s are from the recording that you had mentioned. Go Reagan Rock, and Go Canucks. I still can not say that about Vancouver. I still can not decide the Western Canadian Hockey Team to cheer for.

Mike said...

Using "take a knee" as a term for staying in is something I picked up from an old roommate of mine...who is from Dassel, MN. So I will accept your apology at any time. ;)

Yeah, midnight is early...except when happy hour turns into midnight, which is how a lot of my Fridays go.

P - I thought you cast your lot with the St. Louis Blues. As for D.L, if you think I am not going to reacquire Hysteria, you would be wrong. I may also pick up Pyromania.