Monday, December 15, 2008

No Bluejays in the Bay

*This is definitely a Wisconsin post...bubbler....Tyme machine....dere hey*

Menasha, Wisconsin is a city of 16,000 just south of Appleton. They are known for such things as....well, Mihm's, where a stick of butter on your sandwich is normal (I can't believe they are on the web). They are also known for....well, the best-named race in the country, the Grunski Runski. And, in local prep sports, they are known as....well, bottom feeders. For you Minnesota readers, think of Menasha as the moral equivalent of Bloomington Kennedy...or Irondale. A school with declining population that runs with the big dogs, but struggles to keep up (to the point where Irondale went to a conference with less prestige). So, Menasha was thinking of moving to the Bay Conference, where there were smaller schools. But, Menasha has longtime rivalries with other schools in the area, including the favorite town around here, Neenah. So, they decided to stay in their current conference, the Fox Valley Association.

I am glad they did. When I went to school in Kimberly, we were by far the smallest school in the conference (enrollment of 600). Menasha was twice our size, but we took pride in competing (and in many instances beating) with schools twice, three, or close to four times our size (Neenah, Fond du Lac, Appleton West, and Appleton East all had enrollments over 2000 when I was in high school). In the years following my graduation, Kimberly has more than doubled in enrollment, but they just passed Menasha in size in the past couple of years.

To Menasha, I say this: just because you are smaller than everyone in the conference does not mean you can't compete. Look at Kimberly in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. It can be done. Sure, there are disadvantages to being landlocked, but it's not impossible. Props to the school board for ensuring your kids compete against some of the best competition in the state in the FVA. Don't be an Irondale.

By the way, Mihm's is pretty good...if you go, make sure to order light butter. If not, they will put a whole stick on your steak sandwich...I am only exaggerating slightly.

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

Stop harshin' on Irondale! Your nephew is probably going to school there in not too long.

And when they stick Armstrong in the North Suburban (joining their fellow former Classic Lake footwipes St. Louis Park and Cooper), it won't be that small school a league any more.

Mmmm. Mihm's. It's like buttah. No, actually it is buttah.

Marge said...

I cannot believe Mihm's has a website. And I cannot believe how many years it's been since I've had a Mihm's sandwich! I think a trip to Mihm's may be in order when we're all together next week... what do you think, brothers of mine?

Mike said...

Mark - I get to harsh on Ironjail up until my nephew becomes a freshman there.

Marge - I am up for a Mihm's run. I think I will be in town for a couple of days, so I should be good to go.