Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Express Lane Sports - 10 items or less...

Actually, a few less than 10.

1. In the biggest shock since sunrise, CC Sabathia has decided to sign with the New York Yankees. While the Brewers made an offer that would be great for a lot of pitchers, you had to know CC was going to get a better offer. 7 years, $161 million. CC would have been crazy not to take it. Pitchers don't normally get 7-year deals. I appreciate what CC did in Milwaukee, and I am happy I got to see him pitch once as a Brewer, a gem against the Nationals. Bottom line: If he wasn't going to stay in Milwaukee, I am glad he is back in the AL. I just wish there was a salary cap and floor in baseball so that teams like the Brewers would have had a shot.

2. It was a couple of days ago, but Kevin McHale fired Randy Wittman as coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves and replaced him with...Kevin McHale. Or something like that (Glen Taylor probably had something to do with this). I forgot where I read it, but this line was great: "I think it is appropriate for McHale to be the new Wolves coach. That is appropriate punishment for him, to make him coach the team he built." McHale was a terrible GM, on the level of Larry Harris (former Milwaukee Bucks GM). The only reason he kept his job as long as he did is because he is a Minnesotan...either that, or he has the goods on Glen Taylor.

3. The Packers are 5-8 and are likely done for the year. Meanwhile, the Jets and Brett Favre are in the thick of things in the AFC East. Does this make the Favre trade bad? No. It is not Aaron Rodgers' fault the Packers are 5-8. It is the fault of a defense that can't stop the run and an offense that is too one-dimensional (pass-happy). Favre is going to net the Packers at least a 2nd-round pick, and as Packers fans know, Tradedown Ted will parlay that into 15 7th-round picks. Besides, the Jets improved on defense as well, so that has something to do with their improvement. And I defend Rodgers despite hating the pick in 2005. Pass me some crow, Rodgers isn't that bad.

4. The BCS gave us Oklahoma and Florida for the championship game. That is probably correct, even though Texas has legitimate beef. I am not a fan of the BCS and want a playoff system for college football. But what really bugs me is how much the Big 12 and SEC are so much better than everyone else. I think there is a post coming up on a theory I have as to why the Big Ten has been sliding of late. Anyway, the Big Ten sent two sacrificial lam....I mean, two teams to the BCS again. Meanwhile, the Gophers return to the scene of the crime of 2006 (Insight Bowl) to play Rock Chalk Jayhawk. And, Bucky Badger has a really interesting matchup with Florida State in the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando.

5. The Bucks lost last night in Phoenix. That is nothing new. They have lost 21 in a row in Phoenix to their sister expansion team. I was 11 the last time the Bucks beat the Suns in Arizona. That is pathetic. I hope John Hammond and Scott Skiles get the Bucks to a point where they can beat the Suns. But hey, we have one thing they don't have....a title. Sure it was in 1971, but still...

No comments: