Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"What about Brett Fav-ruh?"

Brett Favre, the great QB for the Green Bay Packers since 1992, decided to call it a career. I was very surprised at the move, considering that I think the Pack could have made another run to the Super Bowl, and win it. Favre decided that there is no guarantee of this was enough for him to retire instead of going through the slog of training camp. He said he is mentally tired.

I was fortunate to see him play one last game in 2007. For years, friends in Kansas City and I talked about seeing the Packers play the Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium. So, I knew for awhile that I was going to go to that game. In that game, Favre took another thing off his to-do list, as in beating the Chiefs. It was the last team the Packers had not beaten under Favre. He threw a couple of picks, but threw a beautiful pass to Greg Jennings to put them up for good late in the game. At that point, Arrowhead (a very tough place to play) pretty much became Lambeau Mid-America. I am very glad I got to see that. That was a good way for me to end my live viewing of Brett Favre.

I figure I saw about a dozen or so games started by Favre, including his first start against Pittsburgh in 1992. I was 16, a junior in high school, and lucked out when my stepbrother had an extra ticket to the game. At the time, I wasn't sure what to think about Favre. I am pretty sure I was counting down the weeks until Don Majkowski would come back. I do remember wanting to keep an eye on the Sterling Sharpe/Rod Woodson matchup. But, what I had read was that Favre had a great arm, and that he had been injured seriously during college. But, the Packers won that game.

Anyway, while I would much rather have Favre make one last run, I can do nothing but wish him a happy retirement! Thank you for playing as long and as well as you did! Thank you for allowing me to be a fan of a Super Bowl champion. Thank you for playing the game all out at all times. Thank you for making the Green Bay Packers relevant again.

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

Nice post, Mikey. You're pretty good at this blogging stuff. Might be time to put you up on my blogroll....

Mike said...

Mark,
Thanks for the kind words. If you want to add this here to your blogroll, be my guest. It might be cool to have multiple readers.

Marge said...

Hey, Mike, you already have multiple readers! 1) Mark, and 2) Me! That's more than one, hence, multiple!

Well said about Brett, Mikey. I hope you are starting to feel better... dang flu.

Love you!