Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A couple of 1st round picks

Just wanted to put out a couple of picks for some of the 1st round games. I will not post all of them, because as Snoop Dogg says, the game is to be sold, not to be told. But, here are a couple of picks:

(3) Wisconsin over (14) Cal State Fullerton: Yeah, this is really going out on a limb. The Big West champs can score points in bundles (I actually watched part of the Big West title game, mostly because I have no life). However, they are short....really short. There is no one over 6-6 on the team. The Wisconsin bigs should have a field day.

(6) Marquette over (11) Kentucky: I posted earlier about Kentucky's impressive run through the SEC. However, they are hobbling at the moment. The Marquette guards should be able to take advantage.

(9) Arkansas over (8) Indiana: Of course, if the Mr. Hyde Hoosiers show up, all bets are off. Since Kelvin Sampson was fired, the Hoosiers have been inconsistent. And, it's not like Arkansas is all that great. But, I just have an inkling that the Hogs win.

(5) Michigan State over (12) Temple: Another maddeningly inconsistent team in the Spartans. And, I think Temple could pull the upset. Ultimately, I think Sparty moves on, but barely.

(6) Purdue over (11) Baylor: Baylor being in the tournament is a good thing, being that they were down for the count not too long ago. And, apparently they are fun to watch. But, I think Purdue is just a little better and will pull out a victory.

(6) USC over (11) Kansas St: Of course, most people think USC will beat K-State, then beat Wisconsin. I don't know that I see that. But K-State, despite the friendly crowd in Omaha, will fall just short. And, shortly after the tournament, both the USC and K-State fanbases will be disappointed when OJ Mayo and Michael Beasley run to the NBA.

I have gone through the brackets, and have had a hard time picking any major upsets. Last year, there weren't that many (although props are still due to VCU for knocking off Duke in the first round). The one I really really want to pick is George Mason (12) over Notre Dame (5). But, I just don't see it happening.

If I do well here, I may throw a couple of picks out in each round. Or, even if I do poorly here, I may do more picks. It gives me a chance to redeem myself, especially after the god-awful brackets I am turning in tomorrow.

UPDATE: I did OK on these picks (only USC lost), but it was all downhill from there. I am getting decimated on my bracket this year. Those games in Tampa-St. Pete yesterday killed me. Oh well, maybe next year.

One other thing: as I am posting this update, I am watching Pittsburgh play against Michigan State. And, I gotta tell ya, there may be no better announcer on dunks and late in games than Gus Johnson. He just gets so into it. Kevin Harlan is good for that too. Unfortunately, CBS sticks Gus with Len Elmore, who is a good analyst, but boring.

No comments: