Monday, March 24, 2008

Skyline jealousy

We have something that is kinda rare: a Nick Coleman column that is actually interesting and doesn't sneer at anything or anyone to the right of Josef Stalin. Like I said in my intro post, I will occasionally blog about cities and urban planning. Here, Coleman talks about the three tallest buildings in Minneapolis: the newly-named Capella Tower, the IDS Center, and the Wells Fargo Tower. Recently, there has been some debate as to which is the tallest, the IDS Center or the Capella Tower. Coleman cites Emporis*, a site I like to look at on occasion, to say that IDS still rules, despite the halo on top of the Capella. I tend to agree with that. I also agree that the Wells Fargo Tower is the nicest of the three. Cesar Pelli did a really nice job with that one. Really, I am not the biggest fan of the Capella Tower. It's nice, but it's rather pedestrian. It isn't a signature building like IDS or Wells Fargo.

Anyway, Coleman thinks it's time for Minneapolis to build something taller. I am pretty certain there isn't a market for a 60-80 story skyscraper at the moment in this city. Perhaps sometime in the future, but not now. There seem to be a few vacancies around here, not to mention downtown St. Paul. This brings me to my only problem with the column, and it's one of my problems with Minneapolis. He perishes the thought that a city like Indianapolis could possibly have a taller building than Minneapolis. How terrible!! I think people here in Minneapolis think they are right on the level of Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles on the list of important American cities, or just a smidge below it. Here's a newsflash, Minneapolis: YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT!!! That doesn't mean this isn't a great city (if it wasn't, I wouldn't be here). But, I would put Minneapolis on a level with Denver or Seattle. But, Minneapolis (and Minnesota as a whole) likes to think it's more indispensable than it is.

The bottom line is this: Minneapolis has a great skyline. Perhaps it can be added to with a taller building someday, but it's fine for now. I think the market would agree. Hey, it could be worse. You could have Milwaukee's skyline. One tall building, and a ready-made opener to flip someone the bird.

On the other hand, Nick probably has an idea for who could occupy a taller building: Hennepin County! Or, the Met Council!

*Emporis is thorough. It's so thorough, you can even check out their listings on "skyscrapers" in Appleton.

2 comments:

Mr. D said...

Good post, Mike. Inasmuch as I believe the tallest buildings in the world are now in Malaysia, who the shank cares whether or not we have big buildings.

Any word on the Darboy skyline?

Mike said...

Well, they did put up a new water tower a couple of years ago...it's taller than the previous one was.