Monday, October 20, 2008

Next 5

In my several months of blogging, I can't believe I haven't done a next 5 post. These are pretty common, but I am going to put myself out there a bit and give a glimpse into my weird taste in music. I will list the next 5 songs on my iPod and explain why they are there.

"Breaking My Heart (Pretty Brown Eyes)" by Mint Condition - This is probably one of my favorite songs of all time. Great mid-tempo song, very clean-sounding, and it builds up as the song goes on. You can almost hear the increasing frustration in Stokely Williams' voice as the song goes on. I think we've all been where he was in that song.

"Campus" by Vampire Weekend - A friend from work introduced me to this band, and I got into them right away. I would have been quicker to get into them, but I haven't been listening to The Current like a good boy this year. Campus is not my favorite song on the album (that would be "A-Punk"), but it's a pretty good song. Another song of lament....

"Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns" by Mother Love Bone - This song is off the Singles soundtrack, which is one of my all-time favorite soundtracks. This song is the best song on the album ("Birth Ritual" by Soundgarden being a close 2nd). My favorite line: "I used to treat you like a lady, now you're a substitute teacher." The soundtrack version is better than the version on Mother Love Bone's albums, and it's because of the combination of these two songs and a great fade-out at the end. Spoken like a true music snob, I know. Andrew Wood is still missed....

"Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel - This is essentially a Dear John letter to Genesis written after Gabriel left the group. The funny thing is, both Gabriel and Genesis had much more commercial success separate than together. When I was unhappy in my job a few years ago, this song popped into my head a lot.

"Around the World" by Daft Punk - Not a lot of lyrics in this one. This song has a time and place attachment for me. It came out in 1998, just as I was planning my triumphant return to Minnesota. I would listen to Daft Punk on my frequent bus trips between Appleton and the Cities. Actually, a lot of things were happening in my life in 1998. I won't get into all that here, but it's always fascinating how we have our own soundtracks.

So there you go. I want to do these every once in awhile...I would also love to have people chime in with their next 5, whether or not they have an iPod.

5 comments:

my name is Amanda said...

Keeping in mind this is on Shuffle Songs:
“Sex” The Pipettes
“Twilight Time” The Platters
“Canzonetta” Felix Mendelssohn
“The W.A.N.D.” The Flaming Lips
“I Thought I Saw Your Face Today” She & Him

Like any great album, each song from Vampire Weekend has been my fave at one point. Right now it’s a toss up between “Campus” and “Walcott.” ;)

Mr. D said...

Okay, good sir - here ya go:

Groovin' High - Dizzy Gillespie

Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin

September - Earth Wind & Fire

I Melt With You - Modern English

Reva's House - Los Lobos

Significance: I have a lot of music, I guess. And I'm old.

Next five are equally odd:

Groovin' - Booker T. and the MG's

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic - Police

Superstition - Stevie Wonder

All You Need is Love - Beatles

Seventh Son - Johnny Rivers

Mike said...

I would do another set of five, but my iPod died on me and my charger is at work...oh well.

Amanda, I hear you...the song that got me hooked on Vampire Weekend was "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance," then "Oxford Comma." Right now, it's "A-Punk." Good mix of tunes, by the way.

Mark, I know you are gonna come with a good mix of tunes. I know two of those songs are on mix CDs I made for you. My songs are from 1991, 2007, 1990, 1977, and 1998 respectively, so it's not like I am totally in tune with current music. Like I posted, I should be listening to The Current more. And XRT (I have to remember to listen to Saturday Morning Flashback).

Gino said...

ipod schmipod.

Marge said...

Okay, Mike, I'll play -

Car Wash - Rose Royce

Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley

Forever on my Mind - Bo Deans

Dude (Looks Like a Lady) - Aerosmith

Today - Lucas Cates (he's the kid from Madison whose mom I used to work with - I made you listen to some of his stuff when you were here)

That's a pretty odd mixed tape right there.

I must share a sad i Pod related story with you... my shiny, pretty, mostly empty 80 GB iPod Classic was stolen, along with the rest of the contents of my purse... :(

The good news - I got a brand new, shiny, pretty, blue 16 GB iPod Nano today. Smaller but much more my speed in reality, especially since I've just added a bunch of CD's to my library and I've barely got over 4 GB. All's well that ends well.