Monday, October 20, 2008

#25 Ski-U-Mah!!!

It may not last that long, and they aren't a title-caliber team yet, but I just wanted to note the Minnesota Golden Gophers' rise into the ranks of the top 25. It's their first appearance in the rankings since 2005. Now, I have to be cautious in my optimism as I've been burned before by the Gophs. But, it's entirely possible that the Gopher football program will have a nice head of steam going for it going into the new stadium. They've come a long way since I watched them squeak by Northern Illinois. They have a tough one coming up at Purdue, where they have had a lot of trouble winning over the years.

Come to think of it, the football teams I root for are all doing well.

Kimberly - 8-0, winning games by an average score of 48-7.
Minnesota - 6-1 (2-1 in the Big Ten)
Green Bay - 4-3, with an impressive win over the Indianapolis Colts...tied for 1st with da Bears.

Other than the Bucks, 2008 has been a pretty good sports year for me.

Oh, I suppose I should mention the Badgers, who are not having a good year. Despite my history with UW, I do still root for them against all non-Gophers teams. But, I do have to say I like seeing the Gophers well north of Bucky in the Big Ten standings.

No comments: