Saturday, October 18, 2008

Newspaper endorsements

Newspaper endorsements have always been interesting to me. It's always good to know where newspapers stand, although I always wonder how their coverage is affected post-endorsement.

With that in mind, the Chicago Tribune endorsed Barack Obama for President. Honestly, I am not surprised. Obama is an Illinois guy, and the tone of the Chicago Tribune editorial page has gone to the left as of late. Really, I would be more surprised if any newspaper that is not blatantly conservative endorses John McCain. As much as I think McCain is not a good candidate, I do think that he is being messed over by a media that wants Obama elected more than any candidate in the past several election cycles. What did surprise me is that the Trib has never endorsed any Democrat before. I know the Trib has a historically pro-Republican editorial page, but I figured they would have endorsed at least one Democrat at some point. So, maybe I should be surprised at the endorsement. I would certainly be surprised if the Star Tribune endorsed any Republican for any major office, particularly for President. Really, when their endorsements start rolling in, it's going to be an open question whether or not they endorse an entirely Democratic Congressional slate for Minnesota. Maybe they'll endorse John Kline since he isn't really facing a contest.

No comments: