Saturday, October 18, 2008

I had a visitor today

This morning my roommate and I were watching Walk the Line when we hear a knock at our door. Interestingly enough, a couple of Barack Obama operatives are at our door. My roommate told them he's a Republican and ended it. But, I decided to ask a couple of questions. I told them that I am a fairly conservative guy, but that I wasn't impressed with John McCain (which I am not). The guy started talking about Obama's tax plan and his middle class tax-cut. For fun, I asked him how one can cut from 0% (which is the effective tax rate for a significant percentage of people). He squirmed a little at the question, then tried to change the subject. I then told him how I am against punishing success with punitive tax rates. He posited that Warren Buffet is an Obama supporter. My response to that is that if he was to research, he would find that a lot of the ultrarich in this country support Democrats. Warren Buffet, George Soros, the Gettys of San Francisco, and so on.

But, here's a question...to me, Obama's people have no reason to canvass Minneapolis. We are going to give about 80-85 percent of our vote to Obama. So, why are they still working Minneapolis? If there is uncertainty of the result of the Minnesota vote, shouldn't they be working this guy's neighborhood? Or, perhaps the 2nd, 3rd, and 6th districts? Maybe this thing isn't entirely over yet. Or maybe the Obama campaign has so much money they can move into more Republican areas as well as reinforce their strongholds.

5 comments:

Gino said...

they have the money, and will need a higher vote tally if the want to win the acceptance of the public.

Mr. D said...

Hey, I don't want them in my neighborhood.

Although you took the right approach - asking inconvenient questions is always a good way to bum them out.

BTW, Gino is right about the reason. If Obama can eleventyhundred percent of the vote in Minneapolis and St. Paul, it makes the margins look better. And that's why ACORN is working here, too.

Mike said...

I suppose that's true about increasing the margin of victory.

C'mon Mark, I know you would have a field day with an Obama operative. Especially this guy...he looked to be about 22-25 and really committed to the cause. If I tripped him up, you would school him.

Mr. D said...

I probably could school him, but frankly I don't bother with these people when they come to my door. Kate Knuth herself came here about 3 weeks ago and I just took her paper and sent her away without a word. That's why I blog.

Gino said...

i school them.
its fun.