Sunday, June 29, 2008

A solution looking for a problem?

Here's the latest victim group of the evil corporate health care system: young adults. This article in the Star Tribune talks about how young adults may not get health insurance right away after finishing school because their employers don't provide it (or they don't get jobs right away). I would say that this isn't nearly the problem this article indicates it is. I know that I didn't get work right away out of school. So, I went without insurance. Was it a gamble? Sure, I suppose. But, a lot of young people do the same thing. But, they don't have to. And, they don't have to hope they get work with an employer who provides insurance. There are plans with high deductibles that essentially cover catastrophic health problems. These tend to have lower premiums. I have considered going this route myself, if it would save me money. But, the point is that there is already a solution to this supposed issue.

Again, it seems to me that this isn't a problem. But, I bet government has a solution at the ready. And, we probably know what that solution is. And, it will probably make things worse than they already are.

No comments: