Sunday, June 22, 2008

Baseball in the middle of industry

I went to my first St. Paul Saints game today. These have historically been hard tickets to get as the Saints are the only pro outdoor baseball in the Twin Cities (until 2010). So, I haven't had a chance to go until today. The Saints play in the American Association, an independent league that used to be the name of a Triple-A minor league, and play their games at Midway Stadium, which is located in an area that is industrial (hence the title of the post).

The game itself was not that great. It was an exciting game, but the Saints built a big lead and gave it away, losing 10-9 to the Sioux Falls Canaries. The collapse was not fun to watch. But, the Saints definitely put on a good show. Many have heard of the various activities that go on at Saints games, but until you actually go to a game, you have no idea. A pig delivers the ball to the umpire. The PA announcer heckled a dude to give a foul ball to a kid...multiple times. People had root beer floats poured on them. People had cottage cheese poured on them. A Japanese dude sang karaoke. Someone in a Sasquatch costume (or was it a wookie) ran around between innings. It's almost as if the ballgame is an afterthought. Oh, you can get beer for 3 bucks. It's not a big beer or anything, but 3 bucks!!!

I gotta tell you, I had a blast. I definitely want to go back. The closest atmosphere to Midway Stadium I have seen is at Warner Park in Madison for Mallards games.

Note: This is my 100th post since starting back in February. I will try to make sure the next 100 are better.

No comments: