Tuesday, June 2, 2009

He's had Paw-lenty

Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty is not going to run for a third term. I have to admit to being surprised at this. Even though there has been and continues to be speculation that T-Paw has national aspirations, I kinda thought he would try for a third term. As someone who thinks T-Paw has done a pretty good job as governor (most commenters on the Strib would disagree), I think whoever replaces him is going to have tough shoes to fill. He largely held the line on taxes (the "health impact fee" notwithstanding), and has managed to serve as an effective counter to the DFL-dominated legislature. Of course, critics say taxes did increase under his watch, and technically they are right. But, they seem to conveniently forget that he does not control local spending. If local governments can't hold the line, that's on them, not Pawlenty.

As for his chances on the national stage, I would say that he might do decently, but he does not have the national profile required to win the GOP nomination yet. I suppose having two years will give him that chance, though.

As for the 2010 gubernatorial election, this could become really interesting. I can't think of people on the GOP side who might win...yet. I have long believed that this state is returning to form, and now that T-Paw is not running, I have a feeling we may have the first DFL governor since Rudy Perpich. Then everything will be better, right Strib commenters?

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

I dunno, Mike. I don't think the DFL arguments are going to look so good at this point next year. Especially if the terrible swift sword that Pawlenty wields doesn't really make life measurably worse for Minnesotans. Which it won't.

Here's a name for you: Laura Brod. Out of New Prague.

Mike said...

Mark, you don't think Minnesota is moving to the left rather quickly? I know I have the Minneapolis skew in my view of this state, but it sure does seem like a lot of people in this state love government largesse.

Will have to see what Laura Brod is all about...

Mr. D said...

I know I have the Minneapolis skew in my view of this state, but it sure does seem like a lot of people in this state love government largesse.




But not enough to pay for it, Mike. And remember, the DFL has profited more from Republican incompetence than any great groundswell of support for their policies. Did you see people going to the Capitol holding signs that demand full funding for all the items on the DFL desiderata? Didn't think so, good sir.

It's a crapshoot for the governor's race now, but tell me -- which DFLer do you see out there who looks like a great candidate to you? Pogey? Kelliher? Bakk? John Marty? Entenza? You'll pardon me for being skeptical.