Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Since we seem to like quizzes...

...I think we'll have a general trivia quiz. Here are ten questions, ranging across many topics, but with an easy-to-decipher theme (so easy, I'll tell you...each question has some connection to Arizona). But, this is my first quiz, so I have to figure out how to more subtly make a theme.

Whoever answers all 10 questions correctly first wins...well, nothing, except the respect of all Stinger Nation readers. Frankly, I expect this to be done quickly. I made this pretty easy.

1. What university aims to potentially have an enrollment of 90,000 students in 15 years or so? Follow-up question: Why?

Answer: Arizona State, basically because the state dictated it. Given Arizona's enormous rate of growth, they expect more demand for their universities. Arizona State is expected to take up 90% of the growth slack.

2. Glenn Frey sang about standing on a corner in what city?

Answer: Winslow, AZ. "It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford." I really don't care for the Eagles much.

3. Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald went to which high school?

Answer: Holy Angels in Richfield, MN...thus, a local angle on this quiz

4. Trey Wilson was an unpainted furniture store owner in what movie?

Answer: Raising Arizona...which if you haven't seen, you should

5. Which team was the Phoenix Suns' sister expansion NBA franchise?

Answer: Milwaukee Bucks...both came into the league in 1968. Interestingly, the Suns have been more successful overall, but the Bucks have one championship...Phoenix has none.

6. What/where is Shadow Mountain?

Answer: It is a high school in NE Phoenix (Paradise Valley). For hoops fans, it is best known as Mike Bibby's alma mater. Had to throw one obscure one out at you.

7. Why was Public Enemy so upset that they wrote a controversial song about the potential assassination of the governor?

Answer: "By the Time I Get to Arizona" was written in response to Arizona being slow to make MLK Day a holiday. Mark made the point about them imagining rather violent means to honor a man who preached non-violence.

8. How many TV markets are largely based in Arizona?

Answer: Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff, Yuma

9. How did we acquire the southern part of Arizona?

Answer: Gadsden Purchase...basically purchasing right-of-way for a railroad if I am not mistaken.

10. Put in order by population the following cities: Tempe, Kingman, Flagstaff, Chandler, Tucson, Yuma, Apache Junction, Nogales, Surprise, Peoria

Answer (based on 2000 census, which means this order is likely no longer correct..for example, Surprise has tripled in population since 2000): 1. Tucson (486,699); 2. Chandler (176,581); 3. Tempe (158,625); 4. Peoria (108,364); 5. Yuma (77,515); 6. Flagstaff (52,894); 7. Apache Junction (31,814); 8. Surprise (30,848); 9. Nogales (20,878); Kingman (20,069)

Bonus: Which Peoria is bigger; Arizona or Illinois?

Answer: Peoria, AZ recently became bigger than Peoria, IL.

UPDATE: Answers are now posted with the questions.

8 comments:

Mr. D said...

What's up with all the Arizona?

Let's see how I do here.

1. Is the University of Phoenix. Why? To establish worldwide hegemony.

2. Winslow, Arizona. Such a fine sight to see.

3. Fitz went to the Academy of Holy Angels in scenic Richfield.

4. Raising Arizona, of course. Or my name isn't Nathan Arizona.

5. That would be the Milwaukee Bucks.

6. Arizona, I'm guessing.

7. Because Arizona wouldn't make MLK's birthday a holiday. PE never did quite get irony.

8. Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff, Yuma and I think that's it. But I could be wrong.

9. In the fabled Gadsden Purchase, of course.

10. Tucson is the biggest, then probably Tempe. After that you're on your own.

Bonus: Peoria, Arizona is bigger.

Mike said...

Mark: You answered 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9 correctly. Your answer to 1, while probably not totally incorrect, is pretty much incorrect. I need you to be more specific on #6. As for 10, incomplete.

I don't know why this became about Arizona...except that it has felt like Arizona outside of late, except for the humidity. Well that, and it would make at least a couple of the questions a little more difficult to answer.

1, 6, and 10 are still available.

Mr. D said...

I figured that was all I could answer without resorting to the Google, Mike.

my name is Amanda said...

1. The University of Arizona. So they can have their own college football division (where they play themselves).

6. Shadow Mountain is an ancient Indian burial ground on top of which modern Arizonians have built a state-of-the-art amusement park, wherein the roller coasters are routinely tampered by poltergeists, often causing park guests to plummet to their deaths. I'm surprised they haven't shut it down yet, but they have tried several exocisms.

10. Flagstaff, Tucson, Tempe, Yuma, Chandler, Apache Junction, Nogales, Kingman, Peoria, Surprise (the surprise is that there is enough people to qualify it as a city)

Mike said...

#1 is still available (University of Arizona is not correct).

#6 is still available (although Amanda's answer is great...sounds like a Scooby-Doo episode).

#10 is still available

Gino said...

i only got two of them, but mark already answered them first.

Mr. D said...

So it must be Arizona State. Which is already huge. And I stand by the worldwide hegemony part.

my name is Amanda said...

Mike, I feel guilty about promoting your quiz endeavor and then seemingly not taking any of the questions seriously. But I have an excuse! Actually, I have three of 'em:
1. I've only been to the airport in Phoenix, nowhere else in AZ (and I hate that airport, although it is, as they say - "the friendliest airport in the US!") and I basically don't know s*** about AZ.
2. I should've remembered the Gadsden Purchase however.
3. Sports, sports, sports.

I think I'm a smart person, but I'm getting the feeling you would kick my ass at trivia.

I still love the quiz idea, however!