Monday, January 12, 2009

Rice 'n Rickey

Rickey Henderson and Jim Rice were elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame today. There was no question Henderson was getting in as the all-time stolen bases and runs leader (2nd all-time in walks). Also, it is sometimes forgotten that he hit a pretty good amount of lead-off home runs...and he has two World Series rings. Rickey Henderson was a no-brainer.

Much less of a no-brainer was Jim Rice. It took 15 years for Jim Rice to get elected. He was a career .298 hitter who hit 382 home runs, which are solid numbers but not necessarily great. But, Jim Rice put together some really nice seasons. And, in an era where a fair amount of people in their first few years of eligibility are marked with a scarlet S, Jim Rice looks a lot better.

As a Minnesota resident, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Bert Blyleven. He is one of the best strikeout artists of all time, and has 287 career wins. Shouldn't he be in?

1 comment:

Mr. D said...

I wrote about the HOF too, Mikey. I come to essentially the same conclusions, but I'm somewhat less convinced about Bert than you apparently are, for reasons I explain over at my place.