Monday, January 12, 2009

Mini-rant...with apologies to Natalie Merchant

Much like 10,000 Maniacs back in '86, there's a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.

But that's not what this mini-rant is about. What it is about is how freaking happy some TV meteorologists and others seem to be about it. In particular, I am talking about the chief meteorologist on a certain Twin Cities channel that has news at 9. When he does the forecast, he acts so smarmy about it. Look, we know it's cold. Stop telling me to "embrace the forecast." I don't want to embrace 30 below windchills, and my guess is most other people don't either. The other people that need to go are those who talk about, "now this is a real winter." Shut the hell up!!! If you are happy about 30 below windchills, you pretty much need to have your head examined. The frostbite is affecting your brain.

I can deal with winter, but I can't deal with people who are happy about miserable winter weather. People who cheer for blizzards and really cold temperatures have got to go!

6 comments:

Mr. D said...

Preach it, brother! I especially don't like -30 wind chills when I'm trying to shovel.

my name is Amanda said...

I assume you were only referring to people who love "miserable" winter weather, and not the beautiful winter weather we are experiencing today. Therefore I decided to post about it myself.

Is this going to be it? After all the inflammatory Liberal remarks I've made, is it this difference on "the weather" that will rend this blogship in two?! Say it's not so!

Gino said...

hehehehe.....

its in the high 70's here. :)

Mike said...

Mark - Your remark took me back to the days on Railroad St when I got to do that...that sucks! I hope you have help.

Amanda - Well, it was sunny for part of the day. That counts for something. I don't hate winter. I really like days when temps are in the 20s (above zero) or 30s, when it's cold, but reasonable enough where one can, you know, do stuff. Those are winter days I like.

Gino - You know, a lesser person than me would wish a 9.5 earthquake on you for a remark like that. Good thing I am not a lesser person.

Marge said...

This kind of weather makes Rockin' Bobby Lindmeier so very happy - almost as happy as tornadoes and stuff. That boy ain't right.

I too got to experience the joy of shoveling in the -30 wind chills. Good times. Between this winter and last, I'm thinking we really need a snowblower. And we don't even have that much to shovel. I think it was really some kind of torture that we didn't have a snowblower on Railroad Street.

Mr. D said...

its in the high 70's here. :)

No, those would be the IQs, Gino. :)