Friday, February 27, 2009

Some over/unders for you

Just for kicks, I am going to list a few over/unders regarding local weather (and other things), and then have you guess which one it will be...over or under. Anyone who bets, especially at sports books, knows the drill. I am trying to be hopeful about spring, but right about now I am at the point where I feel winter will never end. But it inevitably will. These are signs of hope for me...when will they happen? Hence, the over/under...

Weather ones:
1. Amount of days left where there will be a low temp below zero (Twin Cities): 3 days
2. Amount of snow left to fall this winter (Twin Cities): 18.5 inches
3. First day it will hit 55 degrees (Twin Cities): March 28
4. When average depth of snow in the Twin Cities will be zero inches: April 7

Sports ones:
5. Number of Big Ten teams in the NCAA basketball tournament: 5
6. Number of Big East teams in the NCAA basketball tournament: 7
7. Number of WCHA teams I will be seeing in Washington DC at the Frozen Four: 1

News/Politics
8. Number of votes Sandy Pappas' bill to ban smoking in cars with children will receive in the MN State House: 51...incidentally, there will be a post about this ridiculous piece of legislation soon.
9. Number of days until Al Franken officially becomes a senator: 20

You don't have to guess on all of these. But, I am interested to see what you think.

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

I'll play:

2 days below zero (under)
13" of snow to go (under)
First day to 55 - March 22 (under)
0" snow dept - March 22 (under)

Big 10 in NCAA - 5 (same)
Big East in NCAA - 8 (over)
WCHA in Final Five - 1 (same)

Sandy Pappas bill - 45 (under)

Al Franken a senator - I hope never, but if it happens, it will be closer to 100-200 days. Norm does have an excellent case on equal protection. Here's the irony -- he probably can win the case and maybe even force a recount, but there would be an excellent chance that he'd end up losing to Franken because people will be so tired of him that they'll want him to go away. It's shaping up to be an O. Henry story, I tellya.

He's still done a service on two levels - first, he's exposed Mark Ritchie for the partisan hack fraud that he is, and second, he's exposed the conceit about Minnesota being some sort of enlightened place for what it is, too. Power politics, of the sort practiced by Franken in the recount, work just as well here as they do in Chicago or other more famously benighted precincts.

Mike said...

My own guesses:
1. Under (1)
2. Over (20 inches)
3. Over (March 29)
4. Under (March 30)

Note on 4: I should have asked when the first date when the snow melts and there is no snow. If it was that, then I would say April 9

5. Over (6)
6. Even (7)
7. Under (0)

8. Over (53)
9. Over (40 days)

Mike said...

Good Lord, I am having trouble with 4. What I meant was when there is no snow on the ground and it stays that way (at least through spring and summer).