Friday, March 6, 2009

Parlez vous MOB?




Sorry for the lack of posting...just haven't had a lot to write about of late. But, a couple of things are going on with me (which will explain the title of the post).

1. At work, we are starting to deal with Canada. For many of us here in the States, it is sometimes easy to forget that due to British concessions to the French population in Lower Canada in the Treaty of Paris and Quebec Act, Canada is bilingual. I get reminded of this every year when I flip through the channels during the free preview of NHL Center Ice and find myself entranced by the French-language broadcasts of Montreal Canadiens hockey. And, Quebecers are pretty serious about maintaining their French language. For crying out loud, they made up a word for email because they didn't want to use the word email because it was "too English." Hence, courriel. Anyway, since I am going to be doing some work with our Canadian friends, I am going to learn some French. It will be my third language, as I took Spanish in high school and college. I don't expect to become fluent, or even all that proficient. I just want to be able to read it as I will encounter a good amount of French-language papers. I knew for awhile that I wanted to learn at least one more language in my life. I just thought it was going to be German, Mandarin, Japanese, or something else. Alas, it is French. Thanks Canada!

2. Tomorrow, I will be hanging out with my brother at Keegan's, with a bunch of MOBsters. I have a decision to make. The Minnesota Organization of Bloggers is a group of mostly right-wing bloggers. One of the few criteria for becoming a MOBster is going to a MOB event. So conceivably, I could be a part of this group. This could potentially increase my readership. However, I have to be sure my stuff is up to snuff. So, I will go and see how it goes. Will I join the MOB? I don't know. I just hope I don't have to get hazed via beating.

8 comments:

Mr. D said...

No beatings, good sir. So far as you know.

As for your worthiness, just click on a few links on the MOB blogroll and compare and contrast. I think you're a lot better than you think.

Gino said...

i second that.

Anonymous said...

Text me when you have been made. You are way better than that Mr. D guy anyway. :D

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Stinger, it was good to meet you and get the chance to talk extensively.

As for the Quebecers, let them eat gateau.

Gino said...

well, you joining the MOB or not?

my name is Amanda said...

Second Gino - are we going to get some conservative blogging up in here?!

I promise to be nice when I disagree with you...

Gino said...

amanda: you should join too.
your writing/blogging is very good.

Mike said...

So, am I joining the MOB? Probably...just as soon as I put up some more than one post per week. I gotta say it was a blast meeting all those people at the MOB function.

Amanda - You want conservative blogging? Well, you once said I am a people-pleaser, so just to disprove your theory, I say NO.

I think I am about to get my groove back writing-wise. We'll see what that entails.