Sunday, February 8, 2009

Why I need a digital camera

If I had a digital camera, I could have posted a bunch of pictures of cool things I saw in Milwaukee. My sister and I went to Milwaukee on Saturday to watch the Bucks play the Detroit Pistons. But, we got to town early, so we tooled around town a bit. We went to the Milwaukee Art Museum, which had an addition built a few years ago. Oh, that addition is one of the most stunning buildings I have ever seen. It is beautiful, and is one of the signatures of the Milwaukee skyline. The museum itself has a pretty decent collection.


If I had a digital camera, I could have shown the wonderful urban renaissance happening in the Historic Third Ward. The formerly industrial area south of downtown Milwaukee has turned into a great urban neighborhood that rivals anything found in Minneapolis. I could say the same thing about the areas immediately north and northeast of downtown.


As for the Bucks game, the Bucks are missing three starters. They went up against a Detroit team that on paper should have won by 15-20. For awhile, it looked like it would happen. But, Ramon Sessions and Charlie Villanueva had outstanding nights, and almost willed the Bucks to a win. If I had a digital camera, I could have taken a picture of the view from our seats, which were lower level behind the basket (not direct, but close). It was a surprisingly bipartisan crowd. I don't know if that's because the Pistons have that sort of draw, or if there are a bunch of Michigan transplants in Milwaukee. Either way, a couple of them were directly behind my sister and me, and were very obnoxious.


But, as I don't have a digital camera (yet), you'll just have to take my word for it. But, I will have one soon, and I will certainly be back in Milwaukee soon.

4 comments:

Mr. D said...

Sounds like a good time - glad to hear about what's going on in Milwaukee. I've heard some bad things about things there so the Historic Third Ward news is good.

Meanwhile, the best basketball of the weekend was played at Island Lake in Shoreview.

Mike said...

Mark, Milwaukee is like most other big cities in that there is some bad stuff going on. They have troubled schools, and inept leadership in City Hall. But, I really think Milwaukee is very underrated. Minneapolis gets put on all these "cool cities" lists, and deservedly so. But, like I posted, some of what I saw near the lakefront rivals anything found here in Minneapolis.

my name is Amanda said...

You don't have a digital camera yet?! How do you live, man? How do you live?!

With that, I recommend Canons. Nikons are supposed to be great, too, but I've never owned one, so I couldn't say.

Mr. D said...

Just for the record, Mike, I heard the bad things from people within the state of Wisconsin, some of whom you know. It's not stuff that I read someplace.

I've never had a bad time in Milwaukee. But I've seen places where you could have a very bad time.