Monday, August 25, 2008

Things to Do in Denver When You're Dems

Today is day one of the Democratic National Convention out in Denver. Thus begins the coronation of Barack Obama as the Presidential candidate of the Democratic party, much to the consternation of those who believed that the presidency was Hillary Clinton's birthright. The nomination process for the Dems has been fascinating. I did not think Obama would have received the nomination this time around, but he did a great job creating a cult of personality around him. So, he's the man.

Given that his campaign has been slumping lately, I will be curious to see his acceptance speech and to see how much of a bounce he will get. I wonder if the speech being at Invesco Field is going to have an impact. I also wonder if they will actually fill the place up. I would imagine if they let people onto the field and fill it up, they can actually put over 100,000 in the stadium. They better fill it up, though. Anything less, and I think the perception will be that moving it to Invesco will have been a bad move.

Anyway, the countdown here continues until the elephants on parade show up here. While I will not be anywhere near the Xcel Energy Center, I will post any observations about the GOP convention that I have.

UPDATE: My apologies to the thousands, if not millions, who thought of this headline before me. But hey, the movie title this was jacked from was pretty good.

2 comments:

Mr. D said...

The song that the movie jacked the title from was even better.

Warren Zevon, RIP.

Mike said...

Geez, I totally forgot that song! Well played, sir.