Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hey, since I am posting tonight....

...how about talking about Washington, DC. DC will likely take up a couple of posts. I will use this post to talk about some of the sights we saw. Now, sibs who read this know we did DC back in 1982. So, a lot of this was not new to me...but it kinda was.

First, we walked by the White House. At one point, we saw someone in the back on a smoke break. A few people around, us included, were speculating on whether that was President Obama (or has he quit?).

We went to a few memorials. I had seen Lincoln and Jefferson before, but the World War II memorial was pretty cool. The Vietnam Memorial was a sombering experience. I was asked if I had any relatives who passed away there. Sad to say, I didn't have an answer. But, seeing all the names left me awe-struck.

All of that was on one day. Oh, we also saw a motorcade at one point, not too long after seeing Marine One flying towards the White House.

That was Tuesday...one day after seeing Gettysburg and finding a pretty cool watering hole near the Georgetown campus. There's an interesting person we met there. That will be another post.

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

Hi Mike, this is Mrs. D. I was in D.C. in 1983 and the subway system was great. I was wondering if you used it at all and if it is still easy for visitors to navigate.

Be glad you didn't travel with my mother -- she made us go to so many sites in one hot August day that I ended up with heatstroke. Seriously.

Mike said...

Oh, the subway system...I had that figured out back in '82. Yeah, it's easy, and we used it quite a bit.

Wow, heatstroke...all I got was sun/windburn. It was really windy on that first day in town.

Mr. D said...

I would like to point out that Mike is entirely correct. He did have the subway figured out in 1982. He hadn't made it to 1st grade yet, but he knew that we needed to take the Blue Line train to Ballston station to get back to our hotel in Virginia. And when we threatened to get on the Red Line train just for laughs, he was mighty perturbed about it.