Sunday, April 27, 2008

Draft analysis

Analyzing draft picks less than a day after the draft is generally an exercise in futility. But, if Mel Kiper can do it, so can I.

I want to focus on the Packers, because in Stinger Nation, the Packers are the only NFL team that matters. Over the past few years, Ted Thompson has made some picks that I have found to be rather questionable, and this year is no exception. At this point, I do not know enough about the individual players to say anything about them, but I do wonder why two WRs and two QBs were drafted by the Packers. Wide receiver is a position of relative strength, and drafting two QBs doesn't seem to send the right message to Aaron Rodgers. I also would have preferred if the Pack had signed a veteran to be Rodgers' backup. I do like the pick of Patrick Lee of Auburn, who projects as a physical corner who will play well in the Packers secondary, where jamming receivers at the line of scrimmage is a big part of their coverage.

However, Thompson has made some pretty good picks, and the 13-3 record the Packers posted in 2007 is evidence of this. So, while I am not sure why Ted Thompson drafted two WRs and two QBs, he has earned the right to not be maligned right away for his picks.

No comments: