Wednesday, April 2, 2008

$8 cover charge for The City

I can't quite put my finger on why this bothers me, but it does. I don't mean the fact that someone in the New York Assembly is not gung-ho about the idea of charging all vehicles $8 for the privilege of driving in parts of Manhattan, but the idea itself. Of course, it's partially for the environment, so in many eyes that makes this GOOD. But, I just see all sorts of unintended consequences for a lot of people who live and/or work on that island. They don't ship groceries to stores on the A train. There is something else that bugs me about it, but I can't quite put it into words.

Oh, I just figured out part of the reason it bugs me. This bothers me because if this is successfully implemented in New York, you just know that some idiot alderman in Minneapolis, like perhaps this one, will try to do it here. And she'll do it with my best interests in mind, I am sure. After all, she is my rep in City Hall. And, she cares about my needs.

Disclosure: I am not anti-public transit. In fact, I use it often. Also, I don't really care for people in this town like Jason Lewis who have sort of a "let them eat cake" view of people who use public transit. But, a proposal like the one in New York just seems punitive. OK, that's one other thing that bugs me about it. It seeks to punish people who drive themselves around.

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

That's why we have suburbs, good sir.

So you are represented by Lisa Goodman, RT Rybak, Margaret Anderson Kelliher, Larry Pogemiller and Keith Ellison? To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in "Batman," your town needs an enema.

Gino said...

the global warming tax is soming to los angeles,too.

they want an extra 3 cents a gallon to fight GW, or an odometer tax.

Mike said...

To be fair, I am not represented by Larry Pogemiller. I am actually represented by Scott Dibble. Although, I think I would rather be represented by Dibbo's, downtown Hudson.