Saturday, April 12, 2008

Bucks new GM....it isn't Bill Simmons

One of my first posts talked about The Sports Guy, Bill Simmons, lobbying to be the new GM of the Milwaukee Bucks. I used the occasion to lament the state of the Bucks and how things could get really bad soon, even worse than it already is.

However, I have to say I am cautiously optimistic about the guy the Bucks picked to be the new GM, John Hammond. He was Joe Dumars' right-hand man in Detroit, and the Pistons are about as close to a model franchise as you'll find, at least in the Eastern Conference. He has helped Dumars build consistent winners, with a few NBA Finals appearances and one title. He has inherited a mess of bad contracts (Bobby Simmons, Dan Gadzuric, etc) and a meddlesome power structure above him in the organization. He is going to need a couple of years to right the ship in Milwaukee. But, like I said, I am cautiously optimistic that he can do it.

So, while Bill Simmons put a nice "campaign" together, and he is one of my favorite sports/pop culture columnists out there, I am glad that a guy like Hammond was plucked from the class of the Central Division. Good luck, John...you'll need it.

No comments: