Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Next five songs

While trying to figure out my next real post, here's the next five songs on my iPod:

"My My Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)" by Neil Young and Crazy Horse - I have the live version, I believe off of "Live Rust." I prefer this to "Hey Hey My My."

"Knights" by Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles is an electronic band that features what seems to be the sound card from an Atari video game system circa 1983. A friend from work introduced me to them last year. Very synth-oriented. Some songs are flat-out noisy, but they do mid-tempo stuff well..."Knights" falls into the latter category.

"Just" by Radiohead - Off the 1995 album "The Bends." Time and place song for me. I heard this on the old Sunday night alternative music show Planet X on WIXX, a Green Bay top-40 station. This show was surprisingly ahead of its time. I heard songs on that show in September that I didn't hear again until I moved to Minneapolis to start school (January...long story). "Just" is simply a good song that fits well into its time.

"My Sister" by Juliana Hatfield - Kind of a typical early-to-mid 90s angst-ridden song with contradictory lyrics about Juliana's sister. But, Juliana Hatfield has kind of a cute voice, so it works.

"Kryptonite" by Three Doors Down - This song grew on me back in 2000. Good hook, lyrics tied to Superman, what's not to like?

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

Great minds think alike, good sir. Make sure to check out Maria's cuisinart job on Gino, too.

Anonymous said...

Neil is always good. I am going to have to check out Crystal Castles now. Are they like Vangelis by any chance? Just is a good song too. Sister is decent. I do not have anything nice to say about three doors down so I will refrain from commenting any further. I think that I may have heard that show a few times during my second stay in Badgerland. It was not a bad show. Probably one of the best in that area anyway.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

The whole "Bends" album is excellent. Probably their most user-friendly effort, though I stopped listening after Amnesiac.