Sunday, July 6, 2008

Elyzah and Ben R.

Two of my best friends growing up have had children born to them in the past couple of months. My buddy Sean had a daughter named Elyzah, and my buddy Ben had a son named, well, Ben (different middle name, so it's not a Jr. situation). Sean and Ben have been friends of mine for many years. I have not always done a good job keeping up with them, but I still consider them to be two of my best friends (the other person along those lines is my buddy Jason out in Spokane).

It's funny to see people you used to run with become parents. This is especially true for me, given that I am nowhere near that point in my life. Really, I have trouble with the whole concept of dating, but that's another post. I think I am the last man standing as far as marrying and/or procreating amongst my high school friends. And, the way things are looking, it will be that way for awhile. Thankfully, this isn't a race, so it's OK.

Anyway, congratulations to my buddies Sean (for Elyzah) and Ben (for Ben R.). I have no doubt that both of them will make great parents.

2 comments:

Gino said...

my buddy and i were talking about other pals/family members who had babies, and some of those daffy names they come up, including mispellings, creative spellings that just dont work.

he suugested its best to annoint one bi-partsian, disinterested 'other' who has veto authority over baby names. he has no voice in the decision, but only a veto over the final choice.

at the moment,he's trying to convince his younger bro to give me that veto power.

this could be interesting...

Mike said...

That's not a bad idea. I think people need disinterested parties to assist on a lot of things, but naming children is definitely near the top.

If it was me, I would be fine with most names. However, you gotta look out for the kid. If someone says, "We were thinking about naming our son Spencer," you need to veto that. Otherwise, Spencer is going to get his ass kicked repeatedly by the time he hits 2nd grade.