Sunday, June 6, 2010

No overdrafts at TCF...or any drafts, cans, bottles, etc.

In the great egalitarian spirit that Minnesota likes to believe it has, some have become rather upset that the University of Minnesota wants to sell booze/beer in the luxury boxes at TCF Bank Stadium, but not in the general seats. I thought this was settled last year, but the Legislature worked to make some sort of compromise allowing alcohol sales in the boxes as long as it was available in part of the general seating. This was promptly shot down by the Board of Regents.

I really don't see the problem with the U's position. Most other college stadiums on campus do not serve booze in general seating (I can vouch for Camp Randall and Notre Dame not serving booze). I am also certain that it is allowed in luxury boxes at Camp Randall.

The reason there is any controversy about this is because when the Gopher football team played at the Jiffy Pop Dome, beer was served as the Dome is off-campus.

Now, I am someone who certainly enjoys his beer, but I really don't have a problem with not drinking at college sporting events. Now, because the Gopher football team is something resembling awful, a beer or eight after the game may be necessary. However, in the end, I really don't think it's any of the Legislature's business to dictate drink policy to the U, especially in some misguided attempt to show how much they supposedly care for the people.

Here's an idea, Legislature...if you are so hellbent on improving access to alcohol for Minnesotans, how about allowing liquor stores to open on Sundays?

1 comment:

my name is Amanda said...

When the issue of egalitarianism is at hand, I feel like intricacies matter little when compared to the inequality suffered by citizens. It's not that I disagree that any of your reasons hold water, such as the fact that no other general seating in a Big Ten stadium serves alcohol. (Or that anyone denied alcohol "suffers" - except of course, alcoholics.) The fact that this policy promotes advantages for people with money, over those with less money, is simply wrong. Anyway, colleges are notoriously paternalistic over students when the issue is alcohol. As if they're not getting wasted before and after the game! There is absolutely NOTHING my school did in their anti-drinking campaigns (including at instance in which I was caught in a dorm room that also held booze) that influenced me to not drink.

Could it possibly by a good thing? I know anedotes aren't prescriptive, but if I was a student at the U, and they sold me beer during the game, I know from experience that by 5 PM I'd be passed out in my dorm, and *not* partying all night.

Totally agree about liquor stores on Sunday.