Monday, June 14, 2010

Damn! I wish I was important! Oh wait...

I was going to post about how celebrities thinking their opinion needs to be heard always makes me laugh, because for the most part (no matter where they fall on the political spectrum) their views are simplistic, and can be just as easily articulated by the average high school freshman. Enter Sophie B. Hawkins, best known for this song, who has chimed in with her take on President Obama's handling of the oil gusher in the Gulf (frankly, calling it a spill at this point is like calling Hiroshima a small explosion).

So, like I said, I figured I was going to rip into her. However, I found myself....kinda agreeing with her on some things. The idea of "smaller government, smarter government, flexible government" is something I can get behind, especially the smaller part. Part of the problem with the government's response to the disaster in the Gulf is lack of flexibility. It's hard to move a behemoth such as the federal government into action for the most part. Her point about Obama "rushing in the lawyers while the well is still spewing..." is pretty poignant too. The idea of getting lawsuits going before we even get this mess even close to cleaned up seems a little opportunistic to me.

So wow, a sorta-celeb who veers from an extreme worldview...kinda refreshing. However, it's just one opinion, no more imporant than most anyone else's opinion. Especially mine.

However, partial agreement aside, the headline stays because I like it! Oh, if Color Me Badd chimes in, I'll opine on that too. :)

2 comments:

my name is Amanda said...

I love that song. Also, thank you for getting that in my head - it has replaced this effing tune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkULBQp74LY), which has haunted me for the last two days.

Though I can't say I completely agree with SBH's thoughts about the oil gush. :)

Mr. D said...

I'm personally waiting to hear what Al B. Sure has to say about the matter.