Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What would you give up?

The year was 1993. Bill Clinton began his time as President. Michael Jordan decided to try life in AA as a Birmingham Baron. And, I was lucky enough to be one of the five boys from my class to be selected to attend Badger Boys State, an American Legion program that is a week-long civics lesson.

It is always interesting to think about some of the people you encounter in life. One person I encountered (and met) is a guy named Tom Nelson. Turns out, he grew up across the Fox River in Little Chute. In the intervening 17 years, he has risen up to become a Wisconsin assemblyman, and has decided to run for Lieutenant Governor (which is an elected position in Wisconsin, unlike in Minnesota where gubernatorial candidates select their running mates).

I am sure he will give many speeches in support of his candidacy. But none, and I mean not one, will match his speech at Badger Boys State when he ran for "county" office.

In his speech, he showed fire, enthusiasm, and he really, really wanted the job. In fact, he said he would "give his left nut" for the job. You know what...it convinced me. I voted for him. We did not hold him to that particular campaign promise.

Unfortunately, I can't vote for him as I live in Minnesota. And, given his politics, I am not sure I would (we disagree on some things). But, I want to wish him good luck in his quest. From what I remember, he's a good man with a great sense of humor. Hopefully, he won't sacrifice anything anatomical, or even promise as much. Best of luck, Left Nut!!

1 comment:

Mr. D said...

If he's a Democrat, WEAC already has his left nut in a safety deposit box.