Wednesday, May 6, 2009

30

So it's my blogging buddy Amanda's birthday today!! She has reached the beginning of a really fun decade (well, my 30s have rocked so far). So that she can see how much fun turning 30 can be, I will relay the story of my 30th birthday. Warning, this is a long post...

12:00 midnight (1/1/06): I am in Neenah, WI at a bar whose name escapes me. I am with my good friend Sean and a bunch of his friends ringing in the New Year (for those who don't know, I am a New Year's baby). Being that I am in Wisconsin, the bars do not have to close at the usual bar time. So, we stay at this bar until 3:30 am.

4:00 am: The Neenah bar we were at got lame, so we piled into a car and headed north to Appleton (really Grand Chute), with high hopes that we could continue the celebration at a bar called The Bar. Unfortunately for us, they had just closed. Being that we are in Grand Chute, there are no other real options nearby. So...

4:15 am: Sean and I are walking up railroad tracks bellowing "More than Words" by Extreme. We are on the way to his place. I received a couple of happy birthday calls at this point.

4:45 am: We arrive at Sean's place. He grabs each of us a beer, and we put in "Back to the Future." I should note that Sean and I have done this same routine many times back in the day when I still lived back in Appleton.

5:30 am: Around this time, I pass out. Apparently Biff Tannen was boring me.

8:00 am: I am jolted awake to a phone call that went like this:
Me: Hello?
Sister: Mike!! Where the hell are you?!! The drunk bus leaves at 9!!
Me: Huh??
Sister: We're going to the Packer game today, remember?!!
Me: Oh shit!! I am at Sean's!!
Sister: Your brother is coming to get you.

8:15 am: My brother arrives and runs me back to his house where I am staying. I shower, get ready, then get a lift back to The Bar, which was not there for me four hours ago.

9:00 am: I get on the drunk bus, get handed a beer, and we head up to Green Bay.

10:30 am: The drunk bus drops us off at The Bar on Holmgren Way. I am running on fumes, but a Packer game demands my full attention. So be it!

12:00ish: We walk into Lambeau Field and watch the Packers play a Seattle Seahawks team that was largely resting their starters. Meanwhile, the Packers were at 3-12, and we were thinking we may have been watching the last game of Brett Favre...little did we know what would happen over the next several years.

1:00 pm: I am dragging ass, so I stop drinking beer for a spell and switch to Coke. I need caffeine...bad.

3:00 pm: The Packers beat Seattle 23-17. We wonder if we saw the last of Brett Favre. Back to The Bar.

4:30 pm: The drunk bus hits the road heading back towards Grand Chute.

6:00 pm: Nap time...and trying to decide whether I should go out that night.

7:30 pm: Decision made...it's off to The Bar (on the Avenue). I hang out with my sister and anyone else hanging around.

8:50 pm: Goodbye, 20s. I officially turn 30. I celebrate the moment by taking another pull off of my Miller Lite.

2:00 am: I can't believe I closed it down....good God, something is very wrong with me....phew, what a birthday!!

OK, so that is my 30th birthday. It was a great way to begin my 30s. So, while Amanda's 30th might not be this event-filled, hopefully her 30s are as good as mine have been so far.

Happy birthday, Amanda!!

5 comments:

Marge said...

The image of you and Sean singing "More Than Words" on the railroad tracks at the top of your lungs is absolutely beautiful, Mike! Of all the songs to choose to sing... I can picture it all.

Happy birthday, Amanda! I agree with Mike - I've had a heck of a lot of fun in my 30's so far. It's a great decade!

my name is Amanda said...

Thanks Marge! And thank you for the Birthday Blog Shout-out, Mike! Birthday blog shout-outs are fun.

Yep, you're 30th was definitely more eventful than mine. My b-day just HAD to be in the exact middle of the week this year. I will try to make up for this Saturday.

Good story. You should tell more stories. Farve...all the dudes on my team were up in arms about him today at work. Us stoic Midwesterners sometimes forget he's a Southern boy, IMO. (Thus, the crying on TV.)

Mr. D said...

That story is why I love Wisconsin. That seems to be a habit among siblings -- drunken public singing upon reaching 30. Reminds me of Paulie coming into the bar singing "What's New, Pussycat," only to realize that his entire family was there waiting for him.

The irony runs deep in this family.

Oh, and happy birthday again, Amanda!

Mike said...

Marge - What I forgot to mention was that we were harmonizing...yeah that's right, drunk harmonizing. If someone had recorded that, we would have won Grammys.

Amanda - I assume there will be a full report of Saturday's activities at your place...you know where the bar has been set. You have your mission!

Mark - That was one of the all-time moments in our family's history...too bad the Ivy was torn down, there should be a historical landmark there.

Anonymous said...

I have so many issues with this post. Are you trying to tell me that a bar in Neenah became lame? Tannen is never boring. I will stop with these examples as I am becoming way to angry to type anymore.