Saturday, February 16, 2008

So here's the 450,000,000,001st blog - Intro

Hello, cruel world! Because I like jumping onto trends that have pretty much played themselves out, I decided to start my own blog. This will be an interesting exercise to see if this becomes anything. Of course, that would require me to write interesting content. I make no guarantees that this will happen. I also make no guarantees that I will post much, at least not initially. Writing is something I like to do, but it's also something that takes discipline, of which I have little. Case in point...I started writing this because I am delaying going to work out. So, we'll see. When I do write, I will write about sports, music, politics, amongst other things. I have a quirky interest in cities and population trends, which I imagine normal people couldn't care a whit about. There will be a Midwestern regional bias in my writing. I take interest in two states' affairs in particular, Minnesota and Wisconsin; because I am from Wisconsin and live in Minnesota, and they have shaped my worldview. Politically, I lean right but definitely have a few left-leaning beliefs as well. Sports wise, my belief is as follows: "Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks; every other state's teams suck." OK, that isn't entirely true. I was spurned at the altar by UW-Madison, so I consorted with the enemy. I am a proud pesky Gopher. Rah-rah-rah for Ski-U-Mah!! It doesn't matter that we suck at everything in sports. And, really the only team in Minnesota I don't like is the Vikings.

Oh, a quick warning: I like to think I am funny. Whether or not I am is subject to debate. So, I apologize in advance for all dumb attempts at humor, including ones made in this post.

By the way, Stinger is what I was dubbed a few years ago when I was in Las Vegas for my brother's bachelor party. I also sometimes comment on a different brother's blog (mrdilettante.blogspot.com) under that name. So, in addition to Stinger being my Vegas name, it's my blog's name too. But, my mom (or dad, I am not sure) named me Michael. I go by Mike. Or Mikey (only a select few can call me Mikey), or Michael (if you are a relative or a stoner). I am the youngest of six kids in my family.

So, here goes. Because what the world really needs is one more blowhard who thinks people need to know his opinion.

No comments: