Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Louisville Report - 1


As posted below, I spent last weekend in Louisville, a city that I haven't really visited before. I did not know what to expect, except that it would have a pretty genteel, southern vibe going. Well, there was some of that, but my impression of Louisville is that, while southern, it's not entirely southern.
---
I have to say, I really enjoyed what I saw of Louisville. The Fourth Street District in downtown was a pretty cool area, with the part I saw consisting of local businesses (not much in the way of chains). We ate lunch at the Bluegrass Brewing Company, which had pretty standard brewpub fare, but was pretty tasty. I had a good amber ale (alt).
---
We had some time to kill on Friday afternoon, so we went to Cave Hill Cemetery, as recommended by our visitor's guide. Apparently this is a frequently-visited place. Especially for fans of Colonel Sanders, who is buried here. The people who run the cemetery saw clear to paint a yellow line from the entrance to his grave.
---
Later that afternoon, we decided to go to a great neighborhood bar called Shenanigans (no link, unfortunately). It is literally a neighborhood bar as it is completely surrounded by houses.
---
But, the highlight for me about Louisville, besides things I will write about in future posts about Lebowski Fest and the music scene, is the Highlands area, along Bardstown Road. Despite the heat (it was around 96 degrees on Saturday), we walked around the neighborhood. A couple of highlights included Why Louisville, which has an eclectic collection of items, and Ear X-Tacy, which is one of the better music stores I have ever been to, rivaling the former Let It Be Records or Electric Fetus in Minneapolis, the old Atomic Records in Milwaukee, B-Side Records in Madison, and any Exclusive Company in Wisconsin.
---
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how cool Louisville is. I don't think I could live there (too hot and humid), but I would like to, and probably will, visit there again. I recommend it highly. And, I didn't even see the more common tourist attractions there.
---
Next: Caucasians, oat sodas, and rolling on Shabbos.

No comments: